RCT Council collection day changes this Christmas
Your weekly collections for recycling, food, nappies and black bag waste will change during Christmas and New Year weeks.
- From December 25 until December 27, your waste will be collected two days after your normal scheduled day.
- From January 1 until January 3, it will be collected one day after your normal date.
- There will be no collection changes in the week starting December 16 and collection days will return to normal after the festive period from January 6.
- To help residents recycle as much as they can over the Festive period (27th Dec – 3rd Jan) the Council will collect an UNLIMITED amount of recycling and double the amount of black bag waste – 4 black bags or 1 x 120l bin and 2 extra black bags or 1 x 240l bin and 1 extra black bag.
- If your refuse/recycling has not been collected as planned, please leave it at the kerbside as we may be working additional hours to meet extra demand. Our crews can work well into the evening during busy periods.
- Rinse food and drink containers, bottles in your leftover washing up water before placing them in to your recycling bags.
- Stock up on recycling bags ahead of the festive period by visiting one of the many collection points across RCT or order bags in advance online.
- Please place refuse and recycling out before 7am on your collection day and not before as this can lead to spillages and difficulties for pedestrians using the pavement.
- Place ALL wrapping paper and gift bags in to a separate CLEAR bag, including foil and glitter wrapping paper.
- Book your real Christmas tree collection online from 2nd December.
- Community Recycling Centres
- To free up space over the festive period you can visit one of the local Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) to dispose of your non-kerbside items such as clothes, old toys and electrical items. Our centres are open from 8am until 5.30pm every day except for a 3.30pm closure on 24th and 31st December and complete closure on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day. View CRCs Christmas Opening Hours.Don’t forget to sort out your items in to paper, cardboard, glass, metal etc before you visit the centres as they will no longer accept bags of mixed recycling.What can I take to my local CRC?The CRCs will also accept real and artifical Christmas trees. Bulky and Green Waste CollectionsBulky waste collections and wheelie bin/food waste bin deliveries will be suspended from Saturday 21st December to allow us to use as many resources as possible to collect the anticipated record amounts of recycling this Christmas. Normal services will resume from Monday 6th January. The fortnightly green waste collection service (including 'real' Christmas trees not booked for a collection) will be suspended from Saturday 21st December with normal services resuming on Monday 13th January. Your green waste however including Christmas trees can still be taken to your local CRC throughout the festive period.Access notice:When parking vehicles, residents are reminded to be considerate of large waste collection vehicles required for collections. Please ensure there is enough space for our vehicles to pass, especially in narrow streets.