Railway information for Cynon Valley
Posted by Lewis on the 14th October 2014
1757 Hirwaun Ironworks Opened.
1757 Hirwaun Thomas Mayberry and John Wilkins take lease of Hirwaun land for mining and establishment of an ironworks.
1757 Abernant Ironworks, Aberdare Ironworks Opened.
1793 Aberdare Canal Authorised from Navigation House to Aberdare. Connecting tramroads could be built up to eight miles from the canal.
1812 Aberdare Canal Opened.
1845 Aberdare Railway Act for the line promoted by Sir John Guest and Crawshay Bailey (of Aberaman Ironworks). Line to run from Navigation House to Aberdare with a branch to Cwmbach from Cwmbach Junction to provide a connection with the Aberdare Iron Company^s tramroad to Abernant.
1846 Aberdare Railway Opened to minerals.
1846 Vale of Neath Railway Act passed for broad gauge line from Neath to Aberdare and a branch to Merthyr.
1846 Aberdare Railway Aberaman opened
1846 Aberdare Railway Aberdare opened
1846 Taff Vale Railway Navigation House renamed Abercynon
1846 Aberdare Railway Opened to passengers from Navigation House to Mill Street west of Aberdare.
1847 Aberdare Railway Line leased by the Taff Vale Railway to halt expansion eastwards of the Vale of Neath Railway.
1849 Taff Vale Railway Navigation House renamed Aberdare Junction.
1851 Vale of Neath Railway Aberdare opened
1851 Vale of Neath Railway Opened from Neath to Aberdare for passengers.
1852 Aberdare Railway Passenger service cut back from Mill Street to Aberdare.
1853 Vale of Neath Railway Extended from Aberdare to the Aberdare Canal basin. Pig Iron from Hirwaun could be loaded onto canal barges and coal from Middle Duffryn Colliery taken to Hirwaun.
1855 Aberdare Valley Railway Act for the Vale of Neath Railway to connect from Aberdare to Middle Duffryn Colliery. Chairman: Henry Austin Bruce.
1856 Aberdare Valley Railway Opened, worked by the Vale of Neath Railway.
1856 Aberdare Railway Line doubled except for a short portion in Aberdare.
1856 Aberdare Railway Aberaman closed
1863 Dare Valley Railway Act for line promoted by the Taff Vale Railway to run from Dare Valley Junction, by Aberdare station, to pass under the Vale of Neath Railway Dare Branch and on to Nantmelyn Colliery and Bwlffa Dare Colliery. A branch to Hirwaun was also planned, but not built. Contractor: George Fisher of the Taff Vale Railway.
1864 Taff Vale Extension Connection to the Aberdare Railway opened at Mountain Ash.
1864 Vale of Neath Railway Connection to the Aberdare Railway opened at Aberdare Gadlys Junction.
1864 Aberdare Valley Railway Absorbed by the Vale of Neath Railway.
1872 Rhondda Valley and Hirwain Junction Railway Act for a line from Hirwaun to Aberdare. Not built.
1873 Aberaman Gasworks Opened by The Aberdare and Aberaman Gas Consumers Company.
1883 Pontypridd Caerphilly and Newport Railway Plans to use the Nixons Private Railway and Powel Duffryn Private Railway to run up the valley from Abercynon to Aberdare.
1889 Aberdare Railway Traeman renamed Aberaman
1896 Bute Docks Company Buy the Glamorganshire and Aberdare Canals.
1896 Taff Vale Railway Aberdare Junction renamed Abercynon.
1900 Aberdare Canal Closed.
1902 Aberdare Railway Merged into the Taff Vale Railway.
1905 Aberdare Railway Mill Street re-opened.
1912 Aberdare Railway Mill Street closed.
1913 Taff Vale Extension Connection to the Aberdare Railway at Mountain Ash removed.
1913 Aberdare UDC Electric trams operate in the Aberdare Valley.
1924 Vale of Neath Railway Aberdare renamed Aberdare High Level
1924 Aberdare Railway Aberdare renamed Aberdare Low Level
1935 Aberdare UDC Electric trams service replaced by buses.
1964 Aberdare Railway Aberaman closed
1964 Aberdare Railway Aberdare Low Level closed
1964 Aberdare Railway Closed to passengers.
1964 Vale of Neath Railway Aberdare High Level closed
1968 Aberdare Railway Singled and passing place retained at Abercwmboi.
1971 Vale of Neath Railway Aberdare High Level to Middle Duffryn Junction closed.
1973 Aberdare Railway, Vale of Neath Railway Connection made from Cwmbach Junction to the former route of the Vale of Neath Railway. A crossing of the River Cynon required a bridge and a bridge from the Oxford and Princes Risborough line was used. Vale of Neath Railway reopened from there to Aberdare to provide access to Tower Colliery.
1973 Aberdare Railway Closed between Cwmbach Junction and Aberdare on re-opening of Vale of Neath Railway route. This allowed road improvements, elimination of a level crossing, and property development and was financed by the council.
1980 Vale of Neath Railway Aberdare High Level closed
1988 Aberdare Railway Abercynon North opened
1988 Aberdare Railway Aberdare opened