User menu

Welsh NHS worst A & E waiting times on record

Angela Burns AM, the Shadow Minister for Health, has condemned the Welsh Labour Government for the worst A & E waiting times on record, which were published today (December 19) by StatsWales, and show that just 74.4 percent of patients were seen within four hours.

Mrs Burns said: “If I was appalled at last month’s figures, then frankly I am disgusted at these, which are set against the backdrop of lower attendance figures [90,891 in October to 85,910 in November], so the Welsh Labour Government cannot argue that it was facing increased pressures.”

The worst hospital is now Ysbyty Glan Clwyd, which saw just 57.5 percent of patients within four hours. The second worst hospital is now the Royal Gwent seeing 58.6 percent of patients within four hour. Aneurin Bevan is now the worst performing health board seeing only 72% of patients within four hours.

Some 22,994 people waited more than four hours in November 2019 to be seen.

Regarding 12-hour waits, the worst performing board was Betsi Cadwalladr University Health Board (BCUHB) with 90.4 percent being seen within 12 hours, and the worst performing hospital was Ysbyty Glan Clwyd with 81.9% of attendances being seen within 12 hours.

The Shadow Health Minister added: “Some 1,785 were waiting more than 12 hours to be seen in BCUHB, an astonishingly dreadful number.

“We have, since the November figures, had a mostly mild start to Winter, and so I dread to think what the figures for December – including over Christmas – will show.

“The Welsh Labour Government, and the Health Minister, have repeatedly shown themselves to be incapable of managing NHS Wales. Their records on health in Wales requires an urgent appraisal before the country lurches from a health crisis to a disaster.

”For the full report, click on this link.

 

 

You may also be interested in

 
 

‘Shortcoming in the processes’ over bus subsidy

Following a letter from the First Minister to the Welsh Conservative Shadow Minister for the Economy and Transport today (18 December) regarding a possible breach of government rules over funding for a bus service in a Ministers own constituency, Russell George AM said: