Mountain Ash Cross Valley Link - work over school summer holiday
In order to progress the next significant stage in constructing the Mountain Ash Cross Valley Link, a six-week road closure is required at Penrhiwceiber Road – scheduled for the school holiday to minimise disruption.
The multi-million pound highways scheme continues to make good progress in its main construction phase. It will see a 60-metre road bridge built from Cwm Cynon Industrial Estate to Miskin Road, providing a vital new link for traffic travelling between the A4059 and B4275. The project is a long term-aspiration for the Council and residents, and is due for completion in 2019/20.
In recent months, construction work has progressed well at the Miskin Road embankment – and the next stages include further retaining wall construction and work to the parking area at Glyngwyn Street. Due to restricted space and difficult ground conditions, the following traffic management is required:
- Monday, July 8, for two weeks – traffic lights outside of the Mount Pleasant Pub on the B4275 Penrhiwceiber Road. No road closure is required during this period, which will allow for advanced works.
- Saturday, July 20, for six weeks – a road closure on the B4275 Penrhiwceiber Road, with Glyngwyn Street and Victoria Street changed to one-way only (as indicated on the map). Access will be maintained for residents at all times. Traffic will be diverted via Mountain Ash Town Centre, Llanwonno Road and Glamorgan Street in both directions – with traffic on the B4275 coming from Abercynon being diverted straight onto Glamorgan Street.
During the closure, the bus services that usually use the B4275 will follow the diversion mentioned above – and, to ensure a connection is maintained between Miskin and Mountain Ash Town Centre, a shuttle bus will be provided.
There are alternative routes for motorists around the Miskin area, which may be busier during the closure period. Residents are therefore asked to park considerately to help maintain traffic flow in the area as much as possible.
Please note, all Town Centre facilities and shops will remain open for business as usual while these works are ongoing.
Contractor Walters-Sisk will write to local residents prior to the road closure starting, with all relevant details. The contractor continues to host drop-in events twice a week (3pm-4pm on Tuesdays, and 10am-11am on Thursdays), and residents are welcome to attend with any queries about the upcoming work. Alternatively, they can call the site phone number on 07468 354404.
The Council would like to thank residents in advance for their cooperation. This closure is necessary to complete an important stage in the construction of the Cross Valley Link – which will deliver long-term improvements to traffic flow in the area. The closure is likely to cause disruption, but is scheduled for the school summer holiday in order to minimise this as much as possible.
SHUTTLE BUS ARRANGEMENTS
During the closure period (July 20–Sept 1) the Council has commissioned Keepings Coaches to provide two 12-14 seater shuttle buses, to regularly serve Miskin and Penrhiwceiber, and make connections with the Stagecoach 60 and 60A services for onward travel to Pontypridd, Abercynon, Fernhill or Aberdare. On Sundays there will be connections with the NAT 600 service. Posters advertising this service will be displayed in Mountain Ash, Miskin and Penrhiwceiber. The journeys and times are included below:
From Mountain Ash Railway Station – calling at Bailey Street, Glyngwyn Street, Bush Road, Prosser Street, Penrhiwceiber Road, Glamorgan Street and Perthcelyn Terminus
- Mondays to Saturdays – buses depart at (6.20am), (6.50am), (7,22am), 7,57am – and every 20 minutes until 5.57pm, (6.22pm), (7.51pm) and (9.51pm).
- Sundays – buses depart at (10.30am), (12.45pm), (2pm), (4pm), (7pm), (9.20pm) and (11.22pm).
- Passengers should wait for the bus to Abercynon and Pontypridd at Perthcelyn Terminus. At the times listed in brackets, onward connections from Perthcelyn Terminus are guaranteed.
From Perthcelyn Terminus – calling at Glamorgan Street, Penrhiwceiber Road, Prosser Street, Bush Road, Victoria Street, Bailey Street and Mountain Ash Railway Station
- Mondays to Saturdays – buses depart at (7.22am), (7.57am), (8.24am), 8.59am, 9.12am – and every 20 minutes until (6.42pm), (7pm), (7.30pm), (9.06pm) and (11.06pm).
- Sundays – buses depart at (12.03pm), (1.23pm), (3.23pm), (5.23pm), (8.30pm) and (10.50pm).
- Passengers should wait for the bus to Fernhill and Aberdare at Perthcelyn Terminus. At the times listed in brackets, onward connections from Mountain Ash Railway Station are guaranteed.