Enjoy a host of events in aid of Mayor's Appeal
A host of exciting events - including an Elvis Night and a Golf Tournament - have been lined up to raise awareness and funds for the charities supported by Rhondda Cynon Taf’s Mayor this spring.
Mayor Cllr John Watts has chosen to support The Royal British Legion and Macmillan Cancer Support (RCT), as well as the Rhondda Appeal, a local cause for Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs, during his year in office.
And during his civic week January 25-31, Cllr Watts confirmed that a range of great events will be held over the coming months to raise funds for the Mayor’s Charity Appeal.
- A quiz night at Pontypridd Rugby Football Club, Sardis Road, Pontypridd, on Friday, March 6. Quizmaster Ian Cooper will host the evening, which will include a mix of general knowledge questions, sport, music and a picture round. Teams of up to six people are invited to take part and are asked to arrive at 6.30pm for a 6.45pm start. There will be a buffet at the interval and tickets cost £5 per person. To register for the quiz, please call 01443 424048
- Music fans can enjoy a great night out at an Elvis tribute night with Ponty Presley and supporting artist Ken Rock’ n’ Roll on Friday, March 13 at Ystrad Sports and Social Club. The evening gets underway at 7.30pm and tickets are available on 01443 494061
- The Mayor’s Charity Golf Pairs Tournament will be held on Friday, April 17 at Aberdare Golf Club. There will be a Stapleford Paris competition and prizes for first, second, third, nearest the pin and longest drive. Golfers must pre-book to take part and entry is £80 a pair, with a two-course meal after the game. To register, please call 01443 424123 or email email@example.com
- Fundraisers wearing fancy dress will take part in a charity bed push through the streets of Rhondda Cynon Taf on Saturday, April 25.
- Walkers can take part in The Three Peaks Challenge on Saturday, May 16. One of the highlights of the Mayor’s fundraising year, the challenge involves scaling Snowdon, Cadair Idris and Pen y Fan all in one day.
Cllr Watts said: “One of my most pleasant roles as mayor is to help raise money and awareness for good causes. I have chosen to support three charities during my year in office which are very personal to me.
“Many local people have given their time and shown great generosity to help raise funds for these charities since I took over the chains of office in May. I look forward to welcoming everyone at the great fundraising events we have planned for the coming months.”
Donations to the Mayor’s Charity Appeal can be made through a secure online service. Please visit the Mayor's page if you would like to make a donation. If you have an idea for a fundraising event. Please contact the Mayoral Office on 01443 494061 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cllr Watts was honoured to attend a series of Holocaust Memorial events during the civic week January 26-31.