SEWDCS member Brooke Withers, 8 years
The South East Wales Deaf Children’s Society (SEWDCS) is holding its Christmas party and is calling for all families with deaf children and young people to come along and make contact.
It is on Sunday 28 December from 12.00-3.00pm at Lakeside Court Offices, Llantarnam Park Way, Cwmbran NP44 3GA. It’s free and all families with deaf children and young people are welcome. All we ask is that you contact us below and let us know you’re coming and that you bring a plate of food to
Jace the Ace, the magnificent magician, will mystify us all with his amazing magic and there will be face and tattoo painting, carols and a raffle, amongst other activities. And if we’ve all been really good we’ll deaf-initely receive a special visit from Santa!
“We’re passionate about helping deaf children and their families and we really enjoy a good party too!” said group member Donna Marie Withers. “SEWDCS is made up of deaf children and youngsters, their parents/carers and hearing impaired professionals covering the South East Wales area. We
offer the opportunity for deaf children and youngsters to socialise with their deaf peers and offer support and advice for siblings and the extended family. We organise various activities throughout the year including family fun events like this.”
Amanda Webb, SEWDCS Secretary, added that, “All of the parents in this group are hearing yet we all have at least one deaf child in our families. None of us had any first-hand experience of deafness beforehand and many of us felt shell shocked and wondered why it had happened to us.”
Deafness is a low incidence disability and your deaf son or daughter may be the only deaf child in his or her school. SEWDCS provides a great opportunity for deaf children to meet and socialise with others who are deaf. At SEWDCS we encourage new friendships and nurture confidence in our deaf
children and youngsters. Most importantly for them and their families, we let them know that they’re not on their own.
If you would like to come to the party and get involved in SEWDCS then please contact the team on 07880 258379 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Facebook page www.facebook.com/SEWalesDCS
Information about SEWDCS
• SEWDCS is a local group affiliated to the National Deaf Children’s Society (NDCS) and dedicated to creating a world without barriers for deaf children and young people.
• We support deaf children and their families in Cardiff, Vale of Glamorgan, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Merthyr Tydfil, Newport, Caerphilly, Blaenau Gwent, Torfaen and Monmouthshire.
• 90% of deaf children are born to hearing parents who have no first-hand experience of deafness.
• There are approximately 3,000 deaf children in Wales and 45,000 deaf children in the UK.
• 1 in every 1000 babies born in Wales is diagnosed with a hearing impairment.
• 50% of deaf children are deaf from birth with 50% becoming deaf later.
• Parents with concerns about their child’s hearing can contact NDCS Cymru on 02920 373474 (Minicom: 029 2023 2739) or the NDCS Freephone Helpline on 0808 800 8880 or email email@example.com