Covid-19 Scams Warning
RCTC is aware that some members of the public and organisations are being targeted with emails, texts, telephone calls and WhatsApp messages offering advice and treatment for the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
We are also aware of fake websites selling products and offering ‘cures’ as well as bogus websites asking for donations for victims or promoting awareness and prevention tips.
The UK’s Fraud Prevention Service is giving this advice:
• Be sceptical if you receive an email, text or WhatsApp message about the Coronavirus, and never click on any attachments or links.
• Never provide personal data such as your full name, address and date of birth – scammers can use this information to steal your identity.
• Do not allow yourself to be pressured into donating money and never make donations by cash or gift card, or send money through transfer agents.
• If you think you have been the victim of a scam, then speak to your bank immediately and report any fraud to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
• You can get further information on dealing with scams and fraud by calling the Consumer Service telephone number 0808 223 1133, or contact Citizens Advice.