Check Insurance at the Roadside
The free askMID mobile phone service launched by the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) today will help millions of accident victims a year to check vehicle insurance details at the roadside.
The new 'askMID Roadside' service, which is only accessible via a smart mobile device at www.askMID.com, can be used to check the insurance details of the other parties involved in a road traffic accident.
MIB Chief Executive, Ashton West, believes the new mobile service will help these drivers and many others take some of the stress out of collecting important information at the time of the accident.
"Accidents can be harrowing experiences, but collecting accurate details at the scene of the accident is absolutely essential to making insurance claims for damage and injuries. The new askMID Roadside service provides drivers with an instant check of the Motor Insurance Database (MID) from their mobile phone. This confirms whether the other vehicle involved in the accident is showing as insured on the MID and provides the other party's insurance details so that the claim can be pursued quickly."
Three simple steps to check insurance details after an accident at the roadside
1. Visit www.askMID.com from your smart mobile device
- Your email address
- Your vehicle's registration number
- The third party vehicle's registration number
3. Receive confirmation of insurer and contact details (on screen and to your email address)
West adds: "The askMID Roadside service offers motorists peace of mind that the insurance details provided by the other driver at the scene of an accident match the records held on the Motor Insurance Database. If the results from askMID checks are inconsistent with the person you've had an accident with, you should report that to your insurer immediately."
Accident scene – information checklist:
- Names, addresses and contact details for all drivers (and witnesses) involved in the accident
- Vehicle registrations and insurance details for third parties
- Photographs of any damage