ABERDARE RFC LOOK FORWARD TO DIVISION 3 EAST CENTRAL A PROMOTION
Aberdare RFC have come out on top of the SSE SWALEC Division 3 East Central A league, securing their promotion to Division 2.
The snakes are already aiming higher, setting their sights on Division 1 at the end of next season.
First team captain Dan Lewis said: “This is just the start for us. We aimed for promotion and we’ve excelled ourselves by taking the league title. We were really disappointed after we missed out last year, but there’s a real togetherness among the boys now and we deserve this. We won’t be going into division 2 just to make up numbers.”
Coach Luke Thomas added: “Winning the league gives us that aspiration to go up again. We want to get promoted, we see ourselves as a Division 1 club. We’re all singing from the same hymn sheet now and we know we can do it. This means so much to us, not just as a club but our community as a whole”.
Players and coaches were presented with the trophy at the end of their match against Llandaff North on Saturday.
WRU Board Member Ray Wilton said: “Aberdare are a young side that are truly committed to training and as a result, have been successful in becoming champions. Many congratulations to the club and all the best for the future.”
SSE SWALEC is the national community partner of the Welsh Rugby Union and sponsors both the SSE SWALEC Leagues and SSE SWALEC Cup, Plate and Bowl competitions.
Colin Banks, Head of Sponsorship and Reward at SSE added: “Grass roots rugby is at the heart and soul of every community in Wales and it’s amazing to see the passion, dedication and spirit of everyone involved in the teams, from the coaches and players to the volunteers and supporters. It has been another very strong season for Welsh rugby as a whole and we have seen some fantastic performances in every division. Many congratulations to Aberdare RFC on claiming the title. We look forward to seeing which teams will triumph in the SSE SWALEC Cup, Bowl and Plate at Finals Day at the Principality Stadium on Sunday 1 May.”
SSE SWALEC became National Community Partner of the WRU in 2008, which saw them sponsor both the SSE SWALEC National Leagues and SSE SWALEC Cup, Plate and Bowl competitions. The partnership has seen the energy firm continue its significant investment into grassroots rugby.
About SSE Reward
SSE SWALEC customers in Wales can claim exclusive complimentary tickets to SSE SWALEC Finals Day 2016 when they sign up for SSE Reward at ssereward.com. In addition, they will be able to enter exclusive competitions for other sport and entertainment events in Wales, as well as access to exclusive pre-sales for ticketed events at The SSE Hydro (Glasgow), The SSE Arena, Wembley and The SSE Arena, Belfast (subject to availability)
About SSE SWALEC
- SSE SWALEC, part of SSE plc, employs over 900 people at the company’s Cardiff Gate headquarters.
- SSE plc is one of the UK’s leading energy companies, involved in the generation, distribution and supply of electricity and in the extraction, storage, distribution and supply of gas.
- Its core purpose is to provide the energy people need in a reliable and sustainable way.
- It supplies energy to around 8.28 million energy to household and business accounts throughout the United Kingdom and Ireland, is frequently ranked number one for customer service and is a leading generator of electricity from renewable sources.
- It became a Living Wage employer in September 2013 and was accredited with the Fair Tax Mark in October 2014.
- Every year SSE contributes around £9 billion to the UK economy.
- SSE invests around £4m a day in the UK & Ireland.