User menu

The Phurnacite Plant closed in 1991 28 years ago

Ann Clwyd question to the Chancellor yesterday 14 march 1019 asking what funding will be made available to the environmental sector in Wales to help clear up currently unusable land, like the former Phurnacite plant in Abercwmboi in my constituency.

The Phurnacite Plant closed in 1991 28 years ago

Ann Clwyd speaking in 1986 about the Phurnacite said, “the pollution of the environment had to be balanced against the number of jobs provided.”

Phurnacite: Worst Toxic Waste left anywhere in the United Kingdom said Ann Clwyd

http://www.aberdareonline.co.uk/forums/local-government/phurnacite-worst-toxic-waste-left-anywhere-united-kingdom-said-ann-clwyd

123,000 tonnes of toxic waste present on the site to be removed.

“The seemingly relatively straightforward issues that have held up its progress to date”

“The seemingly relatively straightforward issues that have held up its progress to date cannot go on and I urge all parties involved to work together to reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Cynon Valley MP Ann Clwyd has again called on the Welsh Government to urgently take action to enable the redevelopment of the site of the former Phurnacite plant in Abercwmboi .

Former Phurnacite Works Land Abercwmboi

http://www.aberdareonline.co.uk/forums/local-government/former-phurnacite-works-land-abercwmboi

In 1995, the Welsh Development Agency (WDA) submitted a planning application to Rhondda Cynon Taf Borough Council (RCT) proposing the encapsulation of tar contamination in deep, heavily-lined cells on a former industrial site. This was met with fierce local opposition and after a period of almost six years, the application was rejected. It was then, in late 2000, that the WDA approached The Environment Council to convene a stakeholder engagement process to seek resolution and find a mutually beneficial solution. The derelict land covered an area of 58 hectares in Abercwmboi and was formerly used for the manufacture of Phurnacite and Ancit smokeless fuel. The plant comprised two separate processes, with the original one, dating from 1939, having caused the most contamination. Plans for remediation of the now demolished plants had been a matter of debate since the early 1990’s. Who was involved? The Environment Council convened and facilitated a stakeholder group comprising the local community, Bro Taf Health Authority, landowners, officers and members from both RCT and the National Assembly for Wales, Groundwork and the Environment Agency. Stakeholder participation The process began with a series of one on one meetings with individual stakeholder groups to establish whether an ongoing wider dialogue was worth pursuing. Significant interest was expressed, and a main group meeting (a public meeting) was held in September 2001. This was quite a difficult meeting because there was a long history of dispute between those present. Despite this, participants were able to agree to the proposed negotiated settlements and two working groups of about 20 representatives were set up. One group was to begin work on treatment for the contaminated land (Treatment Working Group) and the other had the remit to ensure the wider community was kept informed of progress (Community Liaison Working Group). Some working group members sat on both groups. Phurnacite Dialogue: finding a way forward for the clean up of contaminated land Interview - Facilitate the formation of a stakeholder group - Stakeholder participation may help in finding a mutually beneficial solution - Communicate in plain language that is not too technical, - Dialogue helps to find a way forward.

The community group agreed to employ a community liaison officer who would be the link between the treatment group and the wider community. Tasks included issuing newsletters and delivering them to the whole community as well as holding ‘surgery sessions’ once a month where people could ask any questions they had about the process or give feedback to the group. Part of this was to ensure that communication was in plain English and understood by all (as at times the details became very technical). Eventually the two working groups merged as trust was developed and the community group’s role was taken on by the liaison officer. Investigating the site The treatment group undertook an extensive new site investigation using an environmental consultancy, which was appointed jointly by the whole stakeholder group. This was considered the best way to ensure participants could trust the results of the investigation. From this the group was able to carry out an appraisal of all possible remediation options, which had been tested on similar contaminated sites in the UK, using a generic set of criteria. These criteria included; community perception both locally and at destination, health impacts for the community, environmental risks, effects on local image, cost, technical feasibility and regulatory approval. A remediation strategy The working group recommended that their preferred option for dealing with the tar and pitch material would be reuse/recycling (e.g. reuse as a fuel or as a road tar) if the material could be separated from other waste in the pits. However, it was found that the reuse/recycle option was not viable as current technologies are not available for such largescale treatments for this type of tar waste. Therefore, the second option of moving the 200,000 tonnes of material from the two tar waste pits to specially licensed landfill sites was pursued. This recommendation was for the removal to be by rail although it was acknowledged that transport by road would be acceptable if the implementation of the rail option was too lengthy.

Agreeing the strategy

The working group reported back to the main group at regular intervals throughout their work to check that they were on track. In July 2003, the new remediation strategy was presented at an open meeting in the village and was agreed by all present.

As a result the WDA submitted a new planning application to RCT in

April 2004 for the removal of the tar waste to landfill by road, which was approved in August of the same year. Once this phase of the works has been carried out the next phase of remediation can begin which could include: bio-remediation of the organic contamination if viable after field trials, coal recovery where possible to minimise the risk of combustion and some concrete removal in key areas.

Outcomes

This project demonstrates that it is possible, through public participation, to achieve a positive outcome to a seemingly insolvable problem. Although it has taken over three years and been resource intensive both in terms of money and people’s time it has provided other beneficial impacts which include: - Increased trust and relations between all parties involved - A solution has been found to an environmental and social problem which had caused dispute for over a decade - The solution will benefit the whole valley as an eyesore will be removed and the land will be reclaimed. This will benefit the whole community when it is put to use and may provide income and employment to the area. David Warren, Dialogue Co-ordinator, Stakeholder Involvement Unit The Environment Council, London, UK

Policy NSA 6 -

Former Phurnacite Plant, Abercwmboi

In accordance with Policy CS 3 land is allocated at the Former

Phurnacite Plant, Abercwmboi for 500 dwellings, the construction of

5.9 hectares of employment, a new primary school and an informal area of informal recreation within the Cynon Valley River Park.

Development on the Strategic Site will be subject to a large-scale reclamation scheme

The former Phurnacite Plant is a key brownfield site in a central position

in the Cynon Valley and lies within the Cynon Valley River Park. The site

represents a significant opportunity for major development to take place

in the Northern Strategy Area. Development of the site is significantly

constrained by flood risk.

6.28 The Council’s vision for the Strategic Site is high quality residential and

employment development with informal recreation, set in the lush

landscape of a restored valley floor.

6.29 The site is subject to a number of constraints most notably:

• Significant Flood risk;

• Ground contamination; and

• Sites of importance for nature conservation.

6.30 The Council has assessed the development potential of the Former

Phurnacite Plant in detail and would wish to see a proposal that addresses

the following elements:

a) Employment development – on the existing plateau to complete

Aberaman Industrial Park;

b) Access – the employment access will be via Aberaman Industrial Park;

the recreation access will be from John Street via the existing football

ground access;

c) Cynon Valley River Park – informal open space on both sides of the River Cynon between the railway and the A4059.

d) Residential development of 500 units including a primary school following removal of contamination and flood prevention works – fronting the retained lakes and centred on the proposed school;

e) Access – the residential access will be from the B4275 Bronallt Terrace between Abercwmboi and Glenboi;

f) Formal recreation provision consisting of a replacement football

ground – northwest of the retained lakes;

g) Development proposals must have regard to the position of the site within the Cynon Valley River Park.

6.31 The phasing of the development will be dependent on the land reclamation scheme and a timely resolution to the significant flood risk issues.

02/04/2003

Environmental Measures Benefiting the Cynon Valley

Q3 Christine Chapman: Will the Minister

make a statement about the environmental

measures benefiting the people of Cynon

Valley? (OAQ23835)

Sue Essex: The Welsh Assembly Government

is committed to the development of environmental policies that will benefit the

quality of life of all people living in Wales.

Examples of our successes in the Cynon Valley include a joint, ongoing initiative with the WDA to deal with derelict and damaged sites such as those at Ancit/Phurnacite and Cefn Pennar, and to bring them back into beneficial use. I know, Christine, that you are well aware of these. We also have candidates for special areas of conservation in your patch, and the provision of financial assistance towards the cost of five projects, including the project at Maesygwyn

School, Cwmdare as part of the Environment

Wales programme. There is also the development of partnerships by Groundwork Wales to work on projects such as the Hirwaun

Industrial Estate, to take forward landscaping projects and provide business support.

Christine Chapman:

Do you agree that the measures you have just mentioned, and other key projects, including the award-winning Cefn Pennar regeneration project, have improved the aesthetic quality of the local community as well as providing recreational and tourism opportunities? Do you agree that the clean up of the Phurnacite plant at Abercwmboi is a key component of extending those environmental benefits? Do you welcome the progress made by the working group set up to realise that goal?

Sue Essex:

I once worked in Cynon Valley, when the Phurnacite plant was operating at full pelt and there was nothing else quite like it. It left a huge problem, and I pay tribute to the people, including you, who have worked extremely hard to turn a blighted area into a site that is a credit to the valley. I have seen enormous changes in that valley; it has gone through difficult economic times, but has seen major improvements both visually and environmentally. With the removal of some of the causes of pollution, air quality and water quality has also improved. I hope that those environmental improvements will be a wonderful backcloth for the people who live in the valley, and for anyone who wishes to invest there. It has moved on enormously.

Geraint Davies: Do you agree that the current ongoing process of remediation of the Phurnacite plant would be an excellent means of freeing valuable development land on the valley floor? Will the Minister ensure that the WDA secures sufficient funding so that that process is completed satisfactorily?

Sue Essex: I am not responsible for the WDA, which receives its own environmental funding.

Lest there be any misunderstanding, I am not sure how much of that land—Christine and the local council will probably know more—can be completely restored for future use. It would depend on the state of the finished product.

However, other sites in the Valleys have been restored. The Cwm Cynon site has been successfully regenerated for other uses. I will consider this issue, but we would be dependent on the WDA to use its resources—along with others—to find the right solution.

Christine Chapman

Another recent achievement in my constituency is the removal of contaminated

land left behind by the former Phurnacite fuel plant in Abercwmboi. I am delighted that this land can now be used for regeneration purposes, for the regeneration of communities that is being replicated across Wales. We should not underestimate its importance.

Christine Chapman

Finally, I will mention a good example of what has happened in my area over the last few years. As you know, First Minister, this is to do with the ongoing regeneration of the Phurnacite plant in the Cynon valley. This was symbolised by the £12 million-worth investment made by the Welsh Assembly

Government to transform that former Phurnacite plant from a derelict site. Work is now going on to look at the after-use of the site and to regenerate the area; it is desperately in need of that. I am pleased with the progress so far, but we must continue the good work.

Vikki Howells 2018

My thanks to Clixx Photography of Aberdare for their work in putting the film together. The first site, and in many ways the most prominent site, is the Phurnacite site. Located in Abercwmboi, this is spread over a huge 168 acres. The sharp-eyed amongst you may have noticed the football pitch on the right hand side of the screen a few seconds in. I think that usefully shows the scale of the land we are talking about. It is also literally in the heart of my constituency, a doughnut-like hole in the centre of Cynon.521

For 50 years, until its closure and demolition in 1991, the Phurnacite produced smokeless fuel in the form of briquettes. At its peak, it was producing over a million of these annually. Changes in consumption saw the closure of the Phurnacite, but not before it had inflicted intolerable damage on the health of its workforce and neighbours, and on the local environment. Yet, reclamation works in the last decade mean it is now a key strategic site for Rhondda Cynon Taf. Ambitious proposals for housing, recreational facilities and infrastructure have been discussed. But, 27 years on, this privately owned site remains unused and unappreciated.

I think these sites also highlight some of the problems caused by land banking that I mentioned earlier. I'm going to focus on the first site, the former Phurnacite site, to illustrate this. Firstly, the site being kept in its present condition stops it being redeveloped. That means that 500 new homes cannot be built. This means that plans to develop land for economic purposes and to provide a new primary school cannot be pursued. This means the vision of new recreational facilities, including reclaimed lakes, cannot be realised. But the poor condition of the site is also having very real impacts on the well-being of the local community. I am indebted to local ward councillor Tina Williams who told me about some of these. There are public health issues from vermin, there are infrastructure challenges on back lanes, there are antisocial issues, with fly-tipping and trespassing on the site—all impacting on the well-being of local residents.