User menu

grand dad family

i am just wonder if possible to research my grand dad mother and who lived in rigos

With so little detail to work from try this information from Archives Wales:Are you just beginning to trace your family tree?

Start by asking relatives (especially the older ones) what they know about the family. Then look for any family documents and photographs kept by family members. Note down all the information, sift it to extract the really important stuff (names, dates and places) and draw yourself a rough family tree. Don't discard the rest of the information - you may find that you need it later.

Now you're ready to start your research! Find the place on your tree where you have really definite information, backed up by documents. This may not be very far back, but it's your starting point - work backwards from here generation by generation, checking your information at every step.

There are two really important sources for those who are just starting to trace their family tree. These are records of births, marriages and deaths, and the census returns.
Photograph of a man using a microfiche reader
Records of births, marriages and deaths.

A bit of background

From July 1837 all births and deaths and marriages in England and Wales had to be registered with the local Superintendent Registrar. Local Registrars kept (and still keep) records of all the registrations for their own areas, and also sent copies to the Registrar General in London. Here an enormous national set of registration records was created, and index volumes were compiled so that individual entries could be found easily. These indexes, arranged in quarters for each year, are now known as the Registrar General's Indexes of Births, Deaths and Marriages (sometimes called the GRO Indexes).

How to get certificates

Family historians can obtain copies of certificates in two ways: if you know where an ancestor was born, married or died, and know fairly precisely when the event took place, you can apply directly to the local Superintendent Registrar for the area. Usually, however, you won't know 'where and when'. In these cases, you will need to start by searching the Registrar General's Indexes of Births, Deaths and Marriages. When you've found an entry, take a note of the information (date, place and reference number) and send off to the Registrar General for a copy of the certificate.

Where can I find the Indexes of Births, Deaths and Marriages?

The indexes are available online, on several different websites. Some of these websites are free to use, but some are subscription or pay-per-view sites. One of the subscription sites is Ancestry, but you can access it free of charge at almost all archives and libraries in Wales, thanks to funding by the Welsh Assembly Government.

Alternatively, if you don't want to use the indexes online, you can look at microfiche copies of the original index volumes. These are available at the National Library of Wales and at some local authority archives.

Remember - record repositories don't have the actual certificates. Once you have found an entry on the Indexes, you need to apply to the Registrar General for a copy of the certificate. You can apply online, by phone or by post, and a small fee is charged for the certificate. You can find out more on the Registrar General's website.
Census returns

Censuses have been taken every ten years from 1801, with the exception of 1941. Before 1841, no names were recorded - the censuses were just a head-count. From 1841 names were recorded, and the census returns list every person present in every dwelling on census night, giving their age, occupation and other information - a fantastic source for family historians. The latest census which is fully available is the one for 1901; the 1911 census is being made available in stages during 2009.

Where can I look at the census returns?

There are two ways to look at the census returns - online or on microfiche copies of the original returns.

Using the census online is easiest, as you can search directly for a specific individual, and you should be able to find them wherever they were on census night. There are several different websites which provide access to the census returns. All are subscription or pay-per-view sites. One of the websites, Ancestry, is available free of charge in almost all local authority archives and libraries and in the National Library of Wales. It provides access to the censuses 1841-1901, but not 1911.

If you use the microfiche copies of the original returns, you will need to start with a good idea of where the person you are looking for was living. The returns are arranged by area (usually by parish and then by street), not by name, and you may need to search through a number of pages to find the entry you are looking for.

The National Library of Wales holds on microfiche the census returns for all of Wales, 1841-1901. Many local authority archives hold the census returns, on microfiche, for the area they cover, for 1841-1901.

The 1911 census returns are not yet available on microfiche - at present they can only be used online.

Need more info check out their website at: