AberdareOnline

Home

User login

Poll

Should RCT Councilors face a fine of £120 for not turning up for meetings same as Parents for kid not attending school
Yes
100%
No
0%
Total votes: 15

Who's online

There are currently 0 users and 30 guests online.

Facebook

Follow AberdareOnline on Twitter

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service urge people to switch on to electrical safety.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service

Firefighters in South Wales Fire and Rescue Service (SWFRS) are urging people to be aware of the dangers of overloaded sockets and overheating of electrical appliances.

Firefighters along with their partners in Electrical Safety First want to raise awareness of one of the biggest causes of accidental house fires in the country.

Electrical appliances have become a staple of modern life - from fridges and phones to toasters or the TV; it's hard to think of how we'd get by without a few electrically-powered essentials.

Percentage of Dwelling Fires involving electrical equipment is 58%

Chief Fire Officer, Huw Jakeway, South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said “Electricity is often overlooked as a fire hazard, perhaps because there is no flame, but just because there is no flame, that doesn’t mean there is no risk - Never under-estimate the risk of fire from electricity.”

GM Dewi Jones, Head of Home Safety at South Wales Fire ad Rescue Service said “Home Safety at South Wales Fire and Rescue Service would urge everyone to take time to check that they are not overloading sockets and not using wind up extension leads without fully unwinding them because of the build up of heat. Please take the time to check that your appliances around your home are fit for purpose. Current recall lists can be found at www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk”

Top Electrical Safety Tips and Dangers

Keep electrical appliances clean and in good working order and have them serviced regularly
Never buy an electrical appliance without knowing it is safe to use
New appliances should have the British or European safety mark on it
Do not leave electrical appliances on standby, unless they are designed to be left switched on (fridges and freezers for example). All other appliances should be turned off at the plug, and ideally unplugged, before going out or going to bed
Get your electrical system checked by a competent, registered electrician at least once every 10 years
Always make sure you uses an RCD with electrical garden tools to protect from an electric shock or even electrocution
DANGER SIGNS

Check electrical leads and plugs for wear and tear and faulty wiring. Frayed leads or exposed internal wires are fire risks.

If you notice hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow for no reason, flickering lights, and scorch marks on sockets or plugs ask a qualified electrician to check your wiring.

Don’t overload sockets
Don’t overload sockets – use one plug in each socket.
Use a ‘bar-type’ fused adaptor on a lead, rather than a ‘block-type’ adaptor.
If you use a coiled or wound up extension lead make sure it is unwound fully because it can build up heat.
Don’t allow the total amps of all plugs in the adaptor to add up to more than
13 amps (or 3000 watts of power).
Don’t plug adaptors into adaptors - use one adaptor in each socket.
Working smoke alarms save lives
For the protection of you and your family, make sure you have at least one smoke alarm on each floor of your home and that it is tested regularly

In the event of any fire, NEVER attempt to deal with it yourself. Instead, get out, stay out and dial 999.

Latest comments