The centenary of the outbreak of the First World War is a poignant and emotional time for us all. Here at the University of South Wales, it’s also a reminder of the history of part of our University. The South Wales and Monmouthshire School of Mines opened in Treforest in 1913 with 29 full-time and 110 part-time students and lost many of its initial intake in the war. The First World War has also been referred to as 'The Engineers’ War’ and our engineering students were much in demand in all theatres of war. The University has war memorials at the Treforest and Caerleon campuses commemorating these students.
Some of our academics and students have written about aspects of the First World War that have inspired them.