More than 360 people have benefitted from a new range of community services in their first year.
A range of services developed to help keep people well and independent at home and prevent them being admitted to hospital celebrates a year of success today.
Cwm Taf Health Board invested £1.5m in the @Home services, which are part of the drive to move more care, which is traditionally provided in hospitals, into the community and closer to people’s homes.
The @Home services are made up of:
• CIAS – community integrated assessment service – which was launched on October 29
• Community ward
• Community IV therapy
These four services ensure people get the support and extra care they need to stay well at home, rather than being admitted to hospital for long periods of time to undergo tests or receive intravenous medicines, such as antibiotics.
Stephen Harrhy, director of primary, community and mental health, said: “CIAS is an important part of our @Home services and I am pleased that the number of patients using it is increasing”.
Since CIAS was launched 363 patients have been assessed by the service of which 74% were referred by their GP. The remaining 26% were either referred from A&E or the Welsh Ambulance Service.
The CIAS service has also seen and assessed 247 patients who would have otherwise been admitted to hospital.
In June the CIAS team also launched an outreach service to Nursing Homes to provide additional support to patients who are at risk of being admitted to hospital.
For this group of patients admission to hospital can often result in long lengths of stay and significant disruption to their daily life. In its first three months, 91 patients were assessed - all of whom would have been admitted had the service not been in place.
The service is also benefiting from new ways of working with the Welsh Ambulance Trust. Following assessment by an Advanced Paramedic, patients who don’t need to be admitted to hospital can instead be referred to the CIAS team.
Lesley Lewis, Head of Nursing for Rhondda and Taff localities and @Home’s clinical lead, said: “The CIAS team has been extremely innovative in developing this service to meet the needs of patients across the Cwm Taf area.
“We’ve managed to evolve and continually improve the CIAS service over the last 12 months based on the positive feedback from healthcare professionals, patients and carers.”
Source: Cwm Taf Health Board