BBC Cymru Wales and Sport Wales today (Thursday, September 12) launched the Wales Sport Awards, newly established to showcase the very best of elite and grassroots sport in Wales.
The two organisations have joined forces for the new event to be held on Monday, December 9, at the Sport Wales National Centre in Cardiff, which will combine the expertise of both organisations to create the country’s biggest annual sporting celebration.
The awards include a range of categories for the public to nominate their favourite community and elite sporting heroes, and an expert panel of judges wil decide many of the overall winners. The BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality of the Year and Coach of the Year are among the prestigious prizes that will form part of the Wales Sport Awards.
The BBC Cymru Wales Sport Personality of the Year prize will continue to be decided by a public vote from up to ten finalists chosen by a panel of sport experts.
Director of BBC Cymru Wales, Rhodri Talfan Davies said:
“BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality of the Year was established in 1954, and almost 60 years on it’s still a really thrilling and prestigious occasion. Joining forces with Sport Wales for the first time will enable us to build on the success of past years as we work in partnership with the lead body for sport in Wales.
“It’s an opportunity to highlight our support for new and emerging sporting talent here at home, as well as recognising the inspiring achievements of our established sportsmen and women across the world.”
Professor Laura McAllister, Chair of Sport Wales added:
“We feel that by teaming up we can build an awards ceremony that will become an iconic date on the Welsh sporting calendar,”
“It is vital to us that we promote sport and the individuals that make sport in Wales happen. What better way to do that than for us to partner up and reach out to the sporting public and industry in a way that we have not done before.
“It will be a real grassroots to world-class sporting celebration with the best community volunteer sharing the same stage as the top sportsperson of the last year. We will be able to tell the complete annual sporting story of Wales.
“But as well as growing a fantastic event it is important to us that we are able to collaborate with organisations such as BBC Wales when our work to promote sport fits so well.”
The categories for the 2013 Wales Sport Awards are:
• Young Coach of the Year (public nomination with panel decision on winner)
• Community Coach of the Year (public nomination with panel decision on winner)
• Young Volunteer of the Year (public nomination with panel decision on winner)
• Volunteer of the Year (public nomination with panel decision on winner)
• Coach to Disabled People of the Year (public nomination with panel decision on winner)
• Coach of the Year (public nomination with panel decision on winner)
• Team of the Year (panel decision)
• Lifetime achievement (panel decision)
• Carwyn James Young Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year (panel decision)
• BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality of the Year (public vote from panel shortlist)
The BBC Cymru Wales Sports Unsung Hero (public nomination with panel decision on winner) award will also be recognised at the event.
More details on the categories, how to nominate and vote are available at walessportawards.co.uk